Saturday 29 February 2020

Changing Plans Again

Kaiah 
So (Don't start a sentence with "So" I hear him scream) So, 😜 the plan was to mate  Kaiah in the Winter of 2019 and Sammi in the Summer of 2020. To keep a sable bitch out of Kaiah and Zalu and a black and tan dog out of Sammi and Sisco. Well Kaiah put the kaibosh on that one didn't she! Plans changed, with no Kaiah babies they had too. Sammi was mated earlier, being older, but not old I hasten to add it was probably not a bad thing. In my head I kind of went along with the idea that Sammi would have another small litter and that I could then mate Kaiah at her next season ... well it looks like I now need to rethink again! I can't consider taking Kaiah to Suffolk to be mated whilst Sammi has a young litter here. It wouldn't be fair on Steve, Sammi or the pups. I am the breeder, they are my responsibility and to be honest I probably couldn't bare being taken away from them. We've not had a litter since 2016 ... and 2013 before that. No I want to stay home and enjoy them! Sod the shows and lets get Tesco deliveries ... LOL
Sammi
The new camp bed arrived yesterday. The other had served me well and came here from my parents house. I'd slept on it for years with litters of puppies - going back as far as the A litter of 1996, yes I've slept a fair few nights in the kitchen. I guess we are lucky with this breed, they are quite careful with pups but accidents happen with large litters and as mothers try to get comfortable puppies get crushed and even killed. Whilst I've always slept in a room with new born pups I've never had a camera in the room before, but it will give added security and I can relax and watch TV in the living room in the evenings.
Sammi is six week today/tomorrow and getting bigger by the day. She looks huge in the evenings but less so in the morning. That is something I've observed many times before, fascinating .. I wonder where the bundles hide during the day? LOL  I'll get a photo and for my own curiosity and records measure her belly later. I know the recommendation is to weigh pregnant bitches weekly, but I'm not carting her to the vets for that now ... you never know who is there and with what conditions do you?