Tuesday 28 June 2016

The Long Coat Gene

Sammi - coat returning
As I sit here "playing" on Facebook all hell is breaking out in the yard. Sammi and Ziva have an excited Loki on the floor and they are pulling strips off him, all in the interest of fun and games I hasten to add! Ziva went out to join the madness when she heard Sammi squeal. Mummy's always quick to defend her daughter, but also adores her adopted stepson! So what is going on? Well Loki is getting a little amorous with Sammi and Sammi to a point is "playing the game!" This slight sexual excitement has been going on for a few days, though as yet Mikey is not taking any interest.
On the 15th of July it will be 6 months since Sammi last season, previously she has gone over 7 months between season but she may be about to throw a spanner in the works, she may not go 7 months this time! To be honest if she did come in early it wouldn't matter too much, as long as I have my 2 week recovery period after my Op on Tuesday it's doable! From memory there was great interest in her for 2 to 3 weeks before her last season too. Sammi's new coat is now coming through, thick and fast. Soon my Angel will be back in full condition .. god she's so beautiful!
Beautiful Jet from the "A" litter
David, Ole's owner has been posting daily videos of his first litter on Facebook. Having a vested interest, for me it's been fascinating watching the little guys altering from day to day. But now at 4 weeks old he has confirmed their are no Long Coats in this litter of 9. Early days yet to see if Ole produces them, mind you, simply (and it is a little more complex) the long coat gene has to be present in both sides to produce long coat puppies, so maybe the bitch doesn't carry the gene! As we know my line does carry Long Coats, and we've had them in every litter bar one - only Seffe didn't have any to date. (but her daughter did!)  If I was to be totally honest I'd be happy for the litter to all be Standard coats, it will give us more choice for showing. Neither of us who want a "show pup" want a fluff! Don't get me wrong, I like a Long Coat, a nice one is impressive, stunning and we never say never (hell I have a white!) but from choice they are not for me!
So now it's wait and see, if all the people who have "booked" a puppy still want one then I have 6 reservations for a Sammi pup, but nothing is on paper and therefore always subject to change I guess! I would still love to totally avoid the Xmas period so earlier may be better? All I can say is watch this space as I will post things on here that won't go on facebook!