Friday 10 October 2014

The Puzzle

Mr Orange 5.5 weeks
Ian phoned last night and asked me which day I was going to choose my puppy. I found myself answering, "Over the week-end, what ever day is best for you!" Hang on .... I have said all along "IF" I feel a male puppy has show potential then I will consider having him. There is the possibility of loosing so much if I do take this pup. I have three people waiting for pups next year, and none of them want one now. Depending on Sammi health test results, and if I have this boy I may have to totally scrap the idea of breeding from Jezi. The first dilema is It's puppy or mating Jezi now, In 12 - 24 months time the second dilema may well be between breeding from Jezi or Sammi. So many "ifs" and "buts," but clearly no answers!
Nico has sired 23 living pups from 3 bitches in the area in the last 12 months. Other than the three I have lined up, would I struggle to sell puppies if I too had a litter early next year? I never want to be in the position I was in with the "H" litter again, that was just heartbreaking for us. Ian has had a cancellation this week, the woman has just discovered she's pregnant so they feel it's not the right time for them, best they discover that before taking the pup home I guess! Good thing he took a deposit, but he now has 4 boys left to sell. Ok they are only just coming up to 6 weeks, but still you would feel more comfortable with another couple sold at this stage wouldn't you!
I think the Stunning Mr Purple and Miss Pink
If "Orange" still looks as good as he did last weekend then I will probably have him. But in this most recent photo he seems to lack coat. Without doubt I will definitely take another look at "Purple" and "Green." Like I said at the time Green was a lovely looking pup that maybe just didn't show his true personality on the day. If for any reason neither now have potential then I will decline the offer. One thing I totally forgot to do .. and must do on the day is check their mouths. We all know so much can go wrong as the grow up, but having everything "in place" at this age sure does help.
I'm still fiddling with names too, Loki's full name is "Loki Laufeyson" and a "Lokean" is one who honours Loki as their primary God. I've never liked silly fancy names, Our dogs have always had the affix and a name. From Blanik Astra (Seffe) in the first litter through to Blanik Ivana (Sammi) it's always the way I've done it. So maybe I should stick to the  original plans ... so Loki of/at Blanik or Lokean at/of Blanik. At the moment I'm so tempted to stick to no frills and keep it simple.
So a big weekend ahead, a big decisions which I must approach sensibly .... as soon as I know then no doubt I'll be updating my blog.