Monday 11 July 2022

My Dad

Today I spent 40 mins alone with my dad. The rest of the family had been delayed due to roadworks. I must admit I was glad, glad to have some time alone with him, to be able to open my heart and tell him everything I needed to say. I hope he heard me, they do say the hearing is the last sense to leave us. This has been such a cruel illness, cruel to him and his loved ones. I can't imagine I'll see my father alive again, so I said my goodbyes before I left. A part of me wanted to stay, but I also felt I'd said all I needed to say. I guess there is no wrong way, just the way that helps us deal with loss and the grief. Dad definitely recognised me yesterday and held my hand as I chatted, but not today, today the man I knew and loved was leaving the shell of a body that had been so cruel to him these last few months. Hopefully someday, I will find some peace and comfort from our time together today.