Wednesday 22 June 2022

This Dog

I'm sure like me some of you have been reading about "Ruby" over the last few weeks. Katrina sold her to a lady who she had met and was comfortable with, until she got the first call to complain that the puppy had cried on the way home! After offering any help needed Katrina tried to get her back numerous times, but failed. Four years on and Ruby is now with Dogs Trust, they won't sign her over to the Katrina, but they are at least letting her go to visit her.
I've been very lucky in all but one case when a home hasn't worked out, the owners have honoured contracts and the dogs have come back to me. There was only the owners of little Ben from the "D" litter who did a moonlight flight and left him behind, but with a little help, we found him, visited and were happy that he was settled with his adopted family.  
It's funny because Zeus' owner was also concerned by her journey home, and for me alarm bells rang there too. If only they'd heard Ross coming over the Llanberis pass for the first time eh! 
At the risk of being repetitive, someone has really missed out with Zeus and I can't help but be saddened that the dog living with us was not the version he showed of himself elsewhere. A year ago he'd run like a fool around the garden when I'd call him in, now he comes straight in. He loves a cuddle and there are no issues touching any part of his body. Occasionally he still jumps backwards when I try to get hold of his collar, but to be honest that not something I often do as he usually does as he's told. He puts his head into the collar or head-collar for me, that's about the only bit of training I've done with him. Formal training was just not needed, all he needed was to learn the rules of living at Blanik, and he has. As we thrive for perfect with these dogs, we may never achieve it, but just getting better is fine by me. Hell brushing is a nightmare, he just takes the piss, but I've discovered that there are two ways to brush Zeus - happy or worried - so let's stick to happy even if it is annoying. We've seen no malice in this dog, though I've seen him worry in a handful of situations, but really they are few and far between. 
Last night we and some super friends were cutting the bottom field, oh here's Zeus. He came straight to me, but as I grabbed for his collar he took a step backwards, I called him over again and he came back to me, result. We had lots of cuddles, but he wouldn't tell me how he got out! Anyway, thankfully I soon discovered it was my fault, I hadn't shut the garden gate properly after having Loki out there earlier. The only reason I had to grab Zeus was because there were two strimmers going full pelt and I was worried they may not see him approach. He was so good, as Siska says Excellent!