Thursday 16 June 2022

Changes - Again

After we lose a dog I put the crate away, I wash the dinner bowls and put them away, I hide the collars and hide anything that belonged to that individual dog. It's not burying my head in the sand, it's a coping mechanism and something I've always done. After Nico went for some reason I left his crate as it was, I'd already changed the bedding and thought if I move this crate then the room would look bare and I'd have to move Sammi's bed, which may have caused confusion.
Tuesday night I collapsed Jezi's crate and put it in the shed, but the room looked odd, so I juggled things about and moved Siska's crate to where Jezi's had been. Siska is getting the idea, but she's still a little confused and found herself several times standing looking at the empty space. Last night she barged into her mother's crate at dinner time, two bitches and one bowl of food in a small space could have been explosive, thankfully it wasn't. This morning Siska got it right - I'm sure now she'll get there.
As I did my usual morning clean of the kitchen today, I had another thought - I could now evict Zeus out of the kitchen. He sleeps with us and now only has to share time with Loki in the middle room. He also has started to come into the living room on some of Nico and Jezi's times, so really is there any need for him to be in the kitchen? Steve took some convincing, but eventually the crate from the kitchen was taken out and I've shut Zeus in Nico's old crate for 2 x 1hr periods today, he honestly didn't seem to mind. Hopefully he'll adjust and use it as Nico did, his door was open for him to do as he liked. I'm not saying Zeus won't be allowed to go into the kitchen, just that there is no need for that huge crate in there anymore. I have a crate I can use for Zeus in the doggy kitchen, the room where his mum and grandmother sleep, and he should be flattered to be allowed to use it. He can still go in the kitchen and on the kitchen windowsill, as he loves to be there. Here's hoping it all works out without too much confusion now.