Sunday 12 June 2022

Decisions And Heartache

When I came home yesterday, I saw blood spots in the yard, as predicted and to the day Miss K has come in season. Siska is currently not showing anything, but they were both in together last time so it maybe any day now. Having only had one season, she's harder to predict and time frames between season wary in female to female. 
Over the last couple of days I've been seriously considering neutering Ross. Not a road I've been down before, well except with Finlay. Ross will never be a stud dog, and after yesterday I've decided not to show him again. I kind of hope neutering Ross would keep things between him and Orin on a more even keel, they are still getting on, but it's important that it remains that way. Orin is a very macho male and Ross is more the fool, but we do get the odd stand-off and uncomfortable moment between them, but as yet it's never been more than a lot of noise. They were fine yesterday at the show but there was a lot of unexpected tension when we got home. Hackles and tails raised, a lot of growling and Ross even spat his kong out! Like I said Ross will never be used at stud, and if he's not going to be shown, well why not? That is something I'd like to know, is there a reason not to? My thought are that if his testosterone was lowered/removed that the pack would fall naturally into place with O at the top of the males. Does that make sense? The negative side of course that it's so final, once it's done there's no going back! 
Sadly Jezi is deteriorating, She's eaten very little today and only came to the top of the field. She's very flat and has no energy. She has a pained expression, especially in the morning, which is when she seems worse. I guess we have to prepare ourselves for more heartache. If Beth's diagnosis is correct, then the timing for deterioration after the spread of the cancer is sadly pretty accurate. I've spoken to a friend today who's BSD also had it and Jezi symptoms are pretty much the same as Cree's were. I will either have to ring the vets tomorrow or organise a visit. There is no point dragging her there if her symptoms are text book, if they are then we just have to asses the situation daily and decide when her quality of life is too affected. With my father in such a bad way life is pretty tough right now.