Thursday 14 March 2019

What's Your Name?

At Crufts we had a chat about how to pronounce some of the names and affixes. I don't think Blanik is difficult but I have struggled with some over the years. Kai and Nico are both from the Conbhairean kennel, but how do you pronounce that? Luckily I know, years ago I had lessons. 'CONBHAIREAN' is pronounced 'Conavaren,'  which is a Mountain in the north west of Scotland, the translation of which is 'Keeper of the hounds.'
So Zalu lives at Silkenwood .. where Ross came from, but he was not bred there. He is from another Scottish kennel and is Hazroh Zalu. The affix is a combination of the affix owners children's names, Hazel and Ross ... I asked friends at Crufts for the correct pronunciation of the name, but no one would confirm that I was saying it correctly. They said the owner of the affix is really fussy about the pronunciation, but I can only think of two ways of saying it,  "Has Ro" or "Haze Ro."  Conformation is needed!!
During the conversation one of my friends said that she struggled with one of mine, the pet name I mean. It turns out the name Kaiah has confused quite a few people. The origin of this spelling of Kaiah is Native American meaning rare beauty .. but there are so many variants with different meanings. Kaya, Kaia, Kya, Caia to name but a few. I really think it's a beautiful name, and no matter how cross you are or how many f words you put in front of it when you call it it always sounds pleasant. I am surprised that someone would struggled to pronounce it though. I guess I was equally shocked that people called Loki - Lockie at the time, but now sadly thanks to Tom Hiddleston in part I suppose, it's the "In name!" Too late to change his name then? Haha