Saturday 9 March 2019

Kaiah And Ross At Crufts

 What a wonderful day we had. From the inoffensive journey along the A5, M54 and M6 toll road to the wonderful Fish and Chips on the way home in our new favourite chippy in Llangollen. Meeting up with friends I hadn't seen in months was just fantastic and my dogs both being placed was just icing on the cake.
We ask so much of these dogs. They get up and set off at silly O'clock. The excitement of getting up at that time is completely off the radar and they end up having to wait in the van until I'm ready to leave. They love the shows so much, and I love spending the days with them.
In the NEC the halls are full to bursting, dogs, shoppers, prams, trolleys, wheelchairs, loud music, tannoys, steps, ramps, shiny floors, carpets floors ..You name it they face it at Crufts. The amount of people who asked to stroke them and take photos of them yesterday was way more than ever.(The breed not just my dogs) We ask so much of these guys but they never let me down. They both took it all in their stride.
Ross was in a class of nine males from 18 months to 2 years old and if I'm to be honest he looked tall and immature. Still I've no problem with that, slowly does it, he has plenty of time on his hands. His lack of coat is sadly obvious, but maybe more so to me than others who could simply think he's just currently out of coat. Looking at the class I was hoping he would be in the top three, a few strange decisions but he wasn't far out. Ross did sing a little in the class, but he wasn't stressed at all, he just likes to be seen and heard! Bless him, he does look tall, when he does eventually fill out he will be a bloody big dog .. Whatever ..  I think he's just great! His performance on the day was Ok .. he did seem reluctant to use his ears at times but it was hard to keep an even keel, if he sees me he tends to loose focus and sing louder so it was really hard to know what to do.
Kaiah .. well what can I say? 10 out of 10 for miss naughty knickers. She did everything that was necessary and required for the time and the place. Again I had to keep away, but seeing Ian by the ring was enough to keep her focused. Actually at one point I thought I may not get to see her at all as Ross kept calling out to her .. and of course she would answer! I must have walked miles during that class but the bugger wouldn't shut up! Eventually I was stood by the Belgian Shepherds when a Terv bitch started flirting with him .. well that was it, he played and I watched Kaiah .. from a distance yes, but I saw it all. I was just so proud of her .. she looked amazing.
The bond between Kaiah and Ross is really strong, they spat, they squabble, they quarrel like siblings, but my god they love each other. Mostly it's wonderful to see, it only goes wrong when in situations like yesterday, one needs to focus and the other distracts them. Anyway it was sorted and I was extremely proud of both of them.
Sadly Ross' breeder Helen didn't make it again yesterday, but her lovely hubby Dennis was there. I had hope she would be there as she hasn't seen Ross since he was 4 months old. I would value her honest opinion. Dennis was very complementary, but honest in saying his lack of coat will often go against him.
I got to see the stunning Zalu, I'm now even more in love with him. He's a very correct medium sized but strong dog. Stunning colour and character. I just hope this works out for me .. I just feel it in my gut that he is the dog for Kaiah! He's 5 and a half hours away but here's hoping eh!