Sunday 24 March 2019

A Peach Blanket


Maybe I'm crazy but this was Riley's blanket and I've never been able to use it or even look at it without thinking of Riley. I've taken it out to use several times in 6 years, yes it's been well over 6 years, but  I always put the blanket back unused. It's so hard to loose one so young, I can't explain the hurt it causes and the heartache that always remains. 
There is always comfort when an animal has lived a full, active, happy and loved life. With time you always look back with a smile instead of a tear, but to loose them so young you always feel cheated of the life you should have had together. That pain never goes away, and though I've lost dogs who where far too young, now 6 years on I feel more haunted by Riley's loss than any of the others.
So the blanket, I've kept it safe and sound, Riley's blanket ... and yesterday I took it out and actually  put it over one of the cat cushions. Today I can't stop thinking about Riley ..  we'll see how we go, whether the blanket stays out .. or returns to a hidden place of safety later in the day.