Tuesday 16 December 2014

Tali's Results

Over the last week Tali's stool sample results have come in at the vets. She is clear of everything from parasites to campylobacter! Good news but it still leaves us wondering "Why?" I know it all started after I caught her eating something orange and quite disgusting on the mountain in September 2013. But a course of antibiotics did clear it up and it took 12 months for the symptoms to return. Taking it of course that both incidents are related which they may well not be! I do find it strange that it returned at the same time of year though.
As recommended Tali is now on a fish based food, things are reasonably calm, though not a 100% solid. At the moment we are keeping a close eye on what goes in and what comes out! Roger suggests she's is to be kept off any high fat foods though he doesn't see the harm in her getting the odd treat. What would she do without her bed time bonio? The worry is the other things that she eats, sheep shit, cat shit, mud, grass, soil ... you name it, she'll eat it. No this is nothing new,  this is Tali!
I asked if there was a risk of a a pancreatic insufficiency problem? The vet assured me this was not the case! He said that maybe the bowel upset may cause chronic pancreatitis, but there is usually some pain and vomiting associated with this condition. Tali has shown neither of those symptoms but a low grade pancreatitis is a consideration. (again related to an irritable bowel probably caused by something she's eating!) I wonder as she ages if her digestive tract is now less tolerant of all the crap she's eating?
So where do we go now? We plod on and try and monitor her eating habits. I've even considered putting a muzzle on her for walks, that would at least stop her eating crap/rubbish; but I fear it would make her miserable and at her time of life that's not something I want to do. The other consideration had been a retractable lead, but I feel that will be dangerous with the other dogs running about. If her symptoms persist or escalate then she will need blood tests to find answers. I just hope this is something we can manage without causing her further stress, but I don't hold out any hope for me stopping her eating shit!