Sunday 8 September 2024

Sleeping And Umbilical Hernias

 After the morning madness, everyone sleeps. This morning, for the first time they were awake before me, though they are still in no rush for breakfast, racing around the kitchen was far more important. Jet likes his food very much, Opal isn't bad at all, but Amber is bloody hopeless, she eats a bit then wonders off! If she stays, I refuse to let her play by Louis' rules! It will be eat it or lose it. Of course these pups have never been hungry, and she may discover that food is more important as she grows, large litters have a different outlook as there has been competition for the milk bar from early on.
Over the last couple of days I've noticed that Opal has a small umbilical hernia. It's so small that it may well disappear. I looked back over my notes, it's about the same time/age that I noticed Kaiah's protruding. Thankfully I had a sensible old school vet at the time who was of the same frame of mind as me, she told me it was small and insignificant and agreed there was a lot more to worry about in pedigree dogs than a delayed closure. Well this is half the size of Kaiah's, and will make no difference whatsoever to my choice of puppy, but of course, it still needs to be noted!