Friday 2 June 2023

Meet Zeeta

We've been waiting a long time for this mating. Anne who's been a friend in the GSD world contacted me about mating Orin to Zeeta over 12 months ago - I wrote a post about it then called "Nikita," her registered name is "NIKITA Z ROTUZKICH BAGIEN," she is a Polish import and very glamorous as is typical of her breeding. Here is the link if you would care for a reminder which would be beneficial ...
Sadly before Zeeta came in season Anne's husband Andy was diagnosed with cancer and obviously the mating didn't go ahead. Andy died a few months later and Anne and her family have found it hard to move on. 
Anne contacted me 2 weeks ago and asked what my terms were for Orin? When she contacted me 12 months ago he was very inexperienced, but already a good stud dog. As Anne and I go back 30 years in this breed, of course I would honour the verbal contact I made then and told her she could pay me when puppies were on the ground. I did find her response was odd as she said, "I'll think about it." Hmmm 
After a few confusing messages to and fro Anne eventually confessed she had found another male for Zeeta, he was the grandson of her old male Zac and she really wanted to keep him in her line. She was worried her decision would affect our friendship and had been apprehensive of telling me so. Well hell of course I was disappointed, especially as I really had considered a puppy from this combination, but I totally understood. Anne is now 75 and this will probably be her last litter and her last opportunity to keep a puppy, having the old male in the pedigree would have been really important to me too. I especially understand as we've lost Dexi from the line as he only carried on here through Kiri and Louis and neither were bred from. 
Anyway two days ago I had a call from Anne, she said she had got to meet her chosen dog, but cards on the table, she didn't like him. She said he growled at her and Zeeta and that had really put her off ... could she go back to Plan A and use Orin? Well yes, of course. 
Ok, if your feeling a little prudish, then log off now and don't read the next paragraph.
Yesterday, we had one of the funniest matings we'd ever had. Zeeta practically threw herself at O and having had to do all the chasing previously he was initially a little take aback! She stood with her tail flying in the air showing off her bits and pieces, but as soon as his willy touched her she started pumping like hell leaving him with a very willing but moving target. I swear I've never seen the like of it, we were hysterical. Zeeta was bubbly and happy and eventually the mating went well. 
Anne and I have agreed that should she conceive, I have the option to have a stud fee or a bitch from the litter. Zeeta is stunning and has an adorable character, and yeah, straight front legs and strong pasterns! I'm not making any commitment, I'm not in the right headspace to make any decisions, but maybe in 4 months I will be in a better place to make the right decision!