Saturday 6 May 2023

Planning.

After soul-searching and heartache, I've made a decision, Kaiah is going to be spayed next week. I had kept her entire as a back-up plan in case Siska wasn't fertile. I had thought that if Siska was to miss again next time I'd go back to Kaiah, but I've muled over it and decided that Kaiah will be too old for another litter by then. Though litters can be registered from a female up to 8 years old, and Kaiah is as fit as a flea right now, well she's 7 in October and I think that will just be too old for a second litter. If I mate her now at her next season then I'll have to wait another year to try Siska again, and then I may end up with 2 litters, 2 puppies, numbers could creep up again far too easily couldn't then. I really don't want 10 again. 
I hate the thought of putting all my eggs in one basket, too often the basket breaks, but this time there are options of keeping the line going through Orin. I can always buy in an Orin daughter/granddaughter in future. It's not my first choice, doing that would mean losing the J and L litters from the line, instead I'd be keeping the line going through the K litter. It really is important to me to keep this line, through Kaiah and Siska if possible, it goes back to and through bitches I've bred and loved and also has Nico and Kai in it ... so here's hoping next time we have success with Siska.