Saturday 26 March 2022

Zeus And A Newfie

A journey to Porthmadog this morning had Steve and I reminiscing about Zeus. The conversation came about as I was asked for help with an 8 month old Newfie who had bitten the owner, twice! (apparently he's had 20 stitches) The breeder didn't want to know, so all I could do was contact friends in the breed and pass on Welfare numbers. We don't know what's gone on there, human error, a dog with issues, bad breeding or a combination of all, but my opinion is that people who know and understand the breed need to assess this lad and decide on the correct path for the future. Let's face it, even at 8 months old that is a feck off big dog to be bighting anyone, let alone the owner. 
I reminded Steve that it's not far off a year since I went to pick up Zeus, I remember so well that sick feeling in my belly. The things I'd been told had me fearing what I was going to get that day, I really thought I was going to pick up an aggressive dog, or at least a dog with huge behavioural issues, and look at what we got, a fecking idiot! Oh hell it's not been a perfect ride, we've had words numerous times, but nothing more than I would expect from a teenage boy finding his feet, Siska is harder, much harder work than him. We are both besotted with Zeus but Steve really is smitten with him. I seem to be the authority, Steve is the buddy, though he's no push over either. Steve just can't get his head around why things didn't work out for Zeus in his home, but he also says it was meant to be. 
Getting back to the Newfie pup, something we have learned from Zeus is that a dog can be two versions of himself in two different homes ... I hope it's the same for him, after all he's just a baby!