Tuesday 29 March 2022

News

It's been a very difficult few days, dad has been so poorly. He has not managed to get downstairs since Saturday, and he looks and feels horrendous. I sat on the bed with him this morning as he tried to eat his breakfast, I just tried to make small talk, as you do. I cried later with my sister-in-law, but was determined not to cry in his or my mother's company. I feel the local GP system is failing him over and over, but thankfully the staff on The Alaw ward at Gwynedd Hospital have been great support. They insisted that his GP came to see him yesterday, my mother has been trying to get her there for about 3 weeks, but now with pressure from the hospital she came out. The hospital had asked for a blood test as they thought he was either anaemic or there was a problem with his PSA levels, the GP came out without a kit to take blood, you couldn't make it up could you! Anyway the nurse she organised to come yesterday to take the blood came out today, so it's another day of waiting! 
When we got back from Porthmadog Steve let Loki out whilst I was still getting the shopping out of the car. That is normal routine so Loki can have an extra toddle around the field. Unfortunately today Loki forgot about his depleting disability, ran towards me too quickly and fell. It was a hard fall, but he was able to get up himself and came towards me on three legs. We had a big cuddle, I rubbed his leg for him and let him carry on as usual. Just in case I decided not to take him out with the group and we had a walk around the field with Isla. He seems fine, but for today maybe I was more comfortable wrapping him up in cotton wool. 
As I write my brother has just text, Dad is going in tomorrow for a blood transfusion. I will know more when they ring later. I'm really pissed off that this was not picked up on sooner, but with GP hiding in their surgery's behind their covid masks what chance was there of a diagnosis!
We had a visitor  in the garden today. One very brave but very scruffy looking cat. Some of my cats were out and they obviously knew him and were relaxed about him being there, but what was shocking was that Zeus was also out there! Anyway after taking photos I recognised the cat as the stray that turned up months ago, I check with my neighbour and they are still feeding him twice daily and he sleeps in the barn with Callie the pony. As long as he's safe and fed, well that's all we need to know.  
Steve's operation has been cancelled, the consultant in London feels the risk is too great. So it's back to plan b. Anyway whilst chatting to his daughter she told Steve that her son's fear of dogs is escalating out of control. It's so bad that it's spoiling their everyday life.They can't go to the park, beaches or on general days out and he has a complete meltdown if he sees a dog. She has been trying for a long time to get help, but it must come from a GP referral - and the GP's don't consider it an emergency. I don't know what to say really, I guess it's a good thing they live so far away, it would never work if they were living locally and wanted to visit would it!