Sunday 27 March 2022

Older

I had a chat with a friend this morning who has a BMD with the same condition as Loki, the only huge difference is that she is only just 2 years old. She is concerned that her future will be very short, but currently she's walking, running and wagging her tail. She said she looks a little odd, but that she's doing OK. "So how is Loki?" Loki is well, very well. I never thought Loki would get back to this, I'm now even considering cutting his steroids down further. The smaller the dose the less risk of side effects and damage to internal organs, but finding the balance is paramount. 
My friend asked how my old dogs were doing? Hmm old, I guess that's three of them. Nico and Jezi have aged these last few months. I showed Nico at a breed Champs show last October, I wouldn't show him now. They are both a little stiff getting up, occasionally there's a limp or a twinge, they've slowed down on their walks and they both look older, but really to be fair they are both doing well. Ziva, Jezi's sister missed the memo though and doesn't seem to have changed at all. Like her mother before her at the same age, her movement is still outstanding, Ziva appears to be fit, healthy and active .. though she needs a damn good brush. 
Sammi and Loki are now veterans too, Sammi is in fine form, and as I said Loki is doing well. If you go with a description of a showdog then we now have 5 veterans, 2 middle aged dogs and 3 youngsters.