Thursday 31 January 2019

We Fell Out ... Again

Yesterday Ross was like a coiled spring. From the moment he first saw the lying snow it was like someone had flipped the stupidity switch. He was flying around like an idiot, grabbing at everybody and everything and I was filled with panic and dread, he hasn't got the best track record for staying on his feet has he!
After his walk he settled well, but my mistake was to put the kong on top of the cupboard instead of back in the van. Around 7pm  he decided he wanted it ...I said no! The kong is only for walks. It's perfect for keeping him from ragging and grabbing at Kaiah. It's very precious to him so it works a treat .. but he's not having it around the house as it would then loose it's value to him and also he swings it round by the rope making it a danger to all, including the fish tank! I gave him his blue chuckit ball, his usual household favourite toy .. he didn't want it! Ross has never easily accepted "No you can't" very well and I could see him staring up at the kong on top of cupboard and considering his next move. So then it was "Get your paws off the cupboard Ross!" By now he was also objecting vocally, and we all know he likes the sound of his own voice, but I was as determined as he was, he was not having it.
After about 30 mins of his winging, pacing and staring I threw him out .. Kaiah went too .. of course. I moved the kong to a different spot and called them in, they didn't want to come in, there was snow to play in and ice to eat, I left them a short while but with the continued munching of ice I decided they had to come in. Kaiah settled, he looked up to the top of the cupboard ... Oh it wasn't there .. so he started whinging again and now he was really getting on everyone's nerves. I told him to "down" (as in lie down) he stared at me his eyes simply said "No!" He then thought he could get on the sofa ... but Sammi was there, so he tried to literally dig her off, I said "No" and pushed him off. Again I said "Down" and he said "No!" Well that was it .. I grabbed a lead made him sit and told him down, he didn't. I tried to push him into the down but with all his strength fighting against me I just couldn't physically make him do it. But with all the work that's gone into him, I can not, I will not let him win. As I tried again a concerned Kaiah came over, of course her perfect friend was not misbehaving, in her eyes he never would. Steve called her away and I managed to catch Ross off guard and tipped him over into the down. I held him in the down until he relaxed and stopped fighting and then I let him go. Unfortunately Sammi had got off the sofa so he got his "seat" but he did also settle and didn't get his kong.
Photo taken now as I try and type! 
Last night reminded me of a previous times, of a far more difficult and defiant Ross. The Ross who tried using his teeth in objection when he didn't want to do something .. though of course it's been well over a year since he last did that and I doubt he will ever do it again. But last night was a reminder that Ross is a very very bright young chap, the kind of guy who makes up his own mind and isn't afraid to try and say "No!" To be honest he's on a par with Kai and not meaning to take anything else away from the other boys past and present but he's got far too much going on in his little brain box for his own good. He runs rings around Loki, and at times he makes Loki look like the village idiot! (Sorry Loki!)
We've had three "fights" in 18 months, that's me and Ross, and last night due to his determination and physical strength I came the closest ever to loosing a battle with one of my dogs. I've said previously that Ross was not an easy puppy, but generally he has become the most loving and obedient of adults, but the defiance and determination is still there obviously. I have struggled with him at times but if truth be known it has only made the bond stronger, I absolutely adore him and I think him me. For sure these days on a walk he is more incline to be with me than running riot with Kaiah. I can't easily put into words how close we've become, he makes me smile everyday and I well up with love and pride for him, watch out the person who dares criticise him now! I guess the harder the battle the more rewarding the outcome.