Wednesday 13 May 2015

Ziva Gave Us A Scare

Well we had very brief but very scary few minutes here this morning, panic stations really set in. I thought I would be cancelling my pre op to go to the vets!
At first I thought Ziva was lame, then she looked to be swaying, very similarly to how Sammi was when she hurt her back. She had a worried expression on her face and she was physically shaking. We separated her from the others and quickly discovered the problem. Her front leg was through her collar and the sliding bit that extended the collar had opened, so the collar was tight around her neck on one side but now large enough to have gone under her armpit. It was so tight it had to be cut off, thank god it was webbing and not leather! I guess it had been like that for hours overnight and was affecting her circulation as well as causing her pain. Poor Ziva, I was so upset for her. :(
I do feel they still need to wear collars. The older generations never did, but when Louis took himself off to the village and I found him in someone's house I knew I had to change things. She could have phoned me if he'd had a tag on instead of us going off our heads looking for him.. Also when Kiri and Nikki had "the fight" years ago we had nothing to get hold of to try and split them. So yeah, taking all things into consideration they still do have to wear their collars!