Wednesday 25 October 2017

With Louis - Where It Began

The Puppy
 Last night I came across some old paperwork, 2003,  before I had everything on my laptop. It contained Louis's weights and measures, well over a 2 months period anyway. I guess that by the third month he was over the minimum height so I relaxed about it all.
The Adult
There is no doubt Louis was a small puppy, his lack of interest in food in those early months really not helping his growth rate. I became so obsessed with his height that Steve made me a measuring stick so I could keep tabs on what was going on. I could see how small he was and I guess seeing his brothers growing and thriving had me worried sick. I knew how beautiful he was, inside and out but if he didn't make size then we would never have achieved anything in the show ring. Well he did make size, be it the bottom end of it and my god what years of success he gave me in the show ring ... Louis loved his shows, he loved everything about them, the people, the dogs, the showing and even the sitting about. There were a few occasions where we had no seats and  much to my embarrassment he would find himself a strangers lap to sit on! I remember one woman saying to me, I have always feared this breed but he's just wiped out a life time of fear .. well he had no seat so her lap had had to do! (it was only ever his front end that went on the lap by the way!)
The Show Dog 
Anyway back to his weights .. at 6 months  Louis  was 55cm and 27kg,  and at 7 months 29kg and 59cms.  As an adult he was 62ms and at his heaviest 34kg. (Males should measure 60 - 65cms - though most are top to slightly over) So he was always a reasonable weight, which I wasn't aware of at the time, but it seems he was over a  month behind my other boys in size at 6 months. Loki was already 25.8kg and 57cm at the wither and Mikey was 56cm and 22.5kg at 5 months. At 6 months Loki was already 60.5 cms and 29.8kg - though of course Loki is tall - somewhere in between would be ideal for Ross. I think Ross at 5 months will be around 56cms, but I will leave off till early next week to measure him. Weight wise, I wouldn't like to guess, though he does eat well these days.
Louis proved when you have attitude size really didn't matter. He loved showing off so much and always gave a wonderful performance, he was my showman, my best friend ... and as much as I love my kids before and after him, I do still believe he was "the dog" in my life time!