Saturday 21 October 2017

Dog Show Day

Sadly for WNC Canine Society everything has been going wrong. The show originally in May in Eirias Park had to be cancelled. It was rescheduled for today in Mona showground. It's bloody cold there but it's one of the best venues for the dogs with a concrete non slip floor, so of course we were going! But in the middle of this week the show organisers were informed that the venue had been double booked, that gave days to reorganise and they stated "cancelling was not an option!" As this was the showgrounds fault at their cost 4 marquees were ordered and put up ready for the show to go ahead, but with the weather forecast most of us felt a show in a tent, be it a posh tent, was not safe or sensible!
Like many other exhibitors I was prepared and got up this morning to make a last minute decision on whether to travel to Anglesey or not. I contacted a friend on the island who told me it was dark, raining and very windy, I then contacted another (Incase the first one was lying..haha) who told me it was really windy with strong gusts. I contacted Ian to discuss what we were going to do, I just couldn't decide. I so wanted to go, but living here has taught me to both fear and respect the powerful destruction of the wind. Steve was saying nothing, but had made his feelings clear last night, not only was he concerned about the marquees but also about us crossing the bridge and whether it would be closed during the day as it had been on Monday. Just as we were about to come to a decision a post came up on the societies Facebook page ..."Today's show is cancelled due to high winds and the marquee is insecure, the marquee people have not come back to fix it, roof is off and poles are out of ground."
For the safety of all definitely the right decision but I do think the showground have let the society down badly and should allow them to reorganise the show as soon as possible without any costs to pay! Flying pig time maybe?