Saturday 5 August 2017

One Week On

This time last week I was sitting in a car park god knows where waiting to meet Ross. I was nervous and excited. What if I didn't like him? After going all that way I still had to like him, after all I'd dismissed his brother from a photo. Well I have to admit from first setting eyes on him I thought he was charming. There was only his size that initially concerned me, but as I've said Loki was that size too .. and look at the bugger now. Equally Louis was the same size ... and these days there is more emphasis on a medium sized dog, large is often penalized! (Though Loki does mostly get away with it!)
The week has gone well mostly. He's generally getting on well with everyone, though I guess the bond is forming with Kaiah, as I hoped it would. He still doesn't understand why sometimes Tali wants to play and other times she's really very sharp with him. Basically with Tali it has to be on her terms, she's too old to be mithered when she's tired. Similarly he doesn't understand why Sammi loves him and plays with him but then when she's in her crate she becomes very aggressive. Sammi is and always has been possessive of her crate .. warning to all cats and dogs ... keep clear.
Talking of crate, Ross absolutely adores his crate. He snuggles into his blanket and toys and there's not a sound from him all night. The spare crate we have is quite small, though big enough for a month or two, but a new one has already been ordered and is ready and waiting for him to grow into.
Ross isn't as foody as ours, though he finishes his meals he doesn't like biscuits at all. We've tried Bonio's, gravy bones and a few others, he has no interest. He doesn't like toast, carrot, or many titbits either .. but he loves fish treats and chicken and similar tasty things. He did really enjoy licking out the yogurt pot and for safety had taken it to his crate!
At the moment Ross is still biting everything, including me. He doesn't seem to have learned from his mum how hard is too hard. I guess that's down to us now to teach him. Krizzie was the only one that we've had who bit equally as hard and as often at his age and I know it took me ages to stop her! But we'll get there.
Mostly everything is going to plan with our confident young man ... Happy times ahead I hope!