Thursday 17 August 2017

First Colour Changes

A standard coat black and tan puppy always gets it's first new coat like a band half way up the tail, then on the tip of the tail followed by a stripe down the spine. It seems sables do the same, though why would I think they wouldn't I don't know? I know it's not quite the same with a Long Coat. Ross' new coat is coming through as black on his tail, making him look quite amusing. Talking of coat, that is one of my only reservations about him. With his sire not carrying the L/C gene he may not produce huge coats .. I can live with that, he doesn't have  to have a Nico coat, as long as he has enough to get by like Loki then I'll be happy. Having enough coat is important in the show dog. Otherwise to be honest I'm quite happy about how he's coming along really, for his age everything is where and how it should be!
His feeding habits haven't improved, he really doesn't seem to want to eat till mid afternoon. He eats all his dinner and supper but has no interest in breakfast or lunch. It's only a worry as I can't get enough food into him in two meals, though he would probably eat it then the quantity is just too much at the moment.His breeder use to add mince, tripe or hard boiled egg to his food, I'm reluctant to start that at the moment, but may weaken if it continues .. Ooops did I say that??
Regarding his size, it seems he is on a par with a friends puppies. They look huge in the photos, but apparently not, the males's weight is the same as Ross, though if he doesn't eat a little better he'll get left behind! I know things balance out, Kaiah and Kyle were huge at this stage and Kaiah is now a lovely size and weight, though I have to confess a tad taller than I expected her to be, but not as tall as Sammi. She would definitely not be over sized to get a breed survey class one .. something to think about if health tests are successful.