Monday 14 August 2017

Moaning Minnie Today

It's almost 2 years and my official "recovery period" is almost over. I was told that any symptoms that are still with you after 2 years remain with you. Mostly I'm doing Ok, I feel so blessed to have recovered so well. I suffer from fatigue, my short term memory is affected, sometimes I can't find the right word in the right language for the sentence, and I occasionally have vision disturbances. Well I can cope with that!
But sometimes, just sometimes I just feel so sorry for myself. The tiredness that still hits me like a train crash causes a chain reaction of all the other symptoms. It's not something I can compare to anything else. My head becomes foggy and headachy, with occasionally blurring of my vision from both eyes but always to the left. I can't concentrate or store information. I don't understand simple sentences that I read and the words I need to string a sentence together elude me. I get irritable with myself or tearful .. then I get symptoms of indigestion and if I push it further I feel like I'm going to vomit. I never know when it's going to catch up with me or how far it's going to go, but one thing I have learned is that resting and coming off the laptop and staying off it helps .. That's hard when you prefer Facebook to TV! I rarely make it past 2pm without having to sleep, and when I do I struggle to function in the evening, or maybe for the few days that follow.
I love my dog shows, but I'm exhausted for days after a long trip and having a co driver has been invaluable, to be honest I doubt I could do the distances with him now. For that I thank you Mr T. My dogs are fantastic, they have settled into a routine of an active morning and a lazy afternoon, and on the days when I just can't get them out in the mornings they still give me a couple of hours to chill in the afternoon. Even puppies like a nap after lunch!
People continue to ask me how I'm doing? Which is lovely, but I always lie these days. It's so much easier to say your "fine" isn't it, and I've had a good teacher with Steve really. Yesterday as I visited a friend and she asked me how I was, it was on the tip of my tongue to say .. "Well actually  .." but the words "I'm Ok" came out instead!" I also smile politely when people tell me I'm looking really well ... I think I may get a plaster with "Damaged goods" on it to go over my forehead ... Haha

But life is good, I'm so happy to still be here with my wonderful husband, my lovely family and friends and my awesome Blanik family. I see it all differently now, life goes on, so much to live for and look forward too ..
To quote Robbie yet again ..."I love my Life ..."