Thursday 7 January 2016

Tali's Birthday Walk

 To a place she'd never been before 
 Out with the kids too
 But of course it was all about her ... 
she bloody crossed the river and headed off downstream!!
 thankfully she had the sense to come back the same way!

As soon as I got there I was partly regretting my decision of location and mixture of dogs. I saw more people today than I've seen in all my previous visits to this track ... and I had two headstrong young ladies with me. Thank God for Loki, who was as well behaved as ever. To be fair Sammi also returned instantly on every recall, though I did see everyone before her! 
And Tali? ... Hmmm, well it started off badly and carried on in the same manner. As I let her out of the van she went left over the bridge out of the car park and onto the single track road .. I called and called and for long enough she took no notice, eventually deciding to follow. She took no notice what so ever of me as a young man came from behind us and went to pass (I was cleaning poo - the other two came and stood by me for him to pass). She had my heart racing as she crossed the river and went off downstream to investigate and then .. OMG then there was her trump card. The same man who I'd seen earlier had obviously walked a lot quicker than us and was coming back towards me. I put Loki and Sammi on the lead. I was too embarrassed to keep calling her and let her continue off the lead. What did she do? Trotted off to him and jumped all over him ... luckily he was very nice about it and said "well hello darling" to her as she kissed his face. But my word in this day and age it could have been so different ... anyway in my embarrassment I found myself lying and saying, "I'm so sorry she's old and doesn't hear very well." He smiled and as I walked away I found myself  telling her in a loud voice .. "That  was naughty that wasn't anyone you knew!"  Being aloof, hand on heart I didn't think for one minute that she'd have gone anywhere near him. We live and learn! 
Did I regret taking her? .. did I hell! This is Tali, this is who she has always been. She won't be told what to do, she thinks for herself. The clever ones are always harder work, less trainable, and though we curse and we swear at the time we really must learn from them and be prepare for them. Tali had a lovely time ... but note to self .. go for the easy option ...don't take Tali and Sammi there together again!