Friday 29 January 2016

Old Man's Not Great

I fear sad times are ahead. Finlay's not doing well at all. It's not consistently everyday but the bad spells are coming more often. There is no doubt whatever happened to him in September has left it's toll on him mentally and physically. I know he's going deaf but there is still a vacancy about him that I can't explain. His behaviour is very odd, particularly at night when he seems very unsettled and keeps waking us up by crashing out of the bedroom and into the hall. (Believe me he doesn't do it quietly) When we let him out he just stands there, so we find it easier to put him back to bed and hope he settles.
Physically he's loosing weight and occasionally has diarrhea, which is no fun for us with a white long coated dog! Some old dogs do loose weight, and investigation by a vet is a possibility; but we will not be going down that road as I won't put him through the indignity at his age.
Finlay doesn't eat brilliantly these days, though I would say he eats three quarters of what he should most days, some days are better than others and I add yogurt and tree barks to his meals daily to help with his digestion.
Sadly most things seem to be an effort for him, I guess that's the CDRM, which is debilitating but not painful. On saying that there is no way I can do a walk with his crew without him. He then finds his enthusiasm for life ... and whilst that remains we plod on regardless of other factors. He still manages to jump into the van as we go out, he still barks in Nico's face and "tries" to keep up with him to start off with, it's just the coming back that's a bit more tricky! When he's had his walk he's obviously tired and he makes no effort what so ever to get into the van. Physically it's hard for me to get him in, but I have to manage. If the old boy still wants to come out, the old boy gets to come out and when he stops wanting to do that, and not before is the time to reassess the situation!