Sunday 14 September 2014

Growing Up

Sammi Belle
So how do I explain to the 9 month old puppy that some people are now afraid of her? Only a few short months ago she was greeted with "ahhh" and "Aww isn't she pretty, can we stroke her?" She's now just as exuberant, happy and friendly, she's just a little taller and has sticky up ears, but now they back away from her, some even pinning their kids to the wall as we walk past. With the unpredictability of humans, it must be damn confusing to be a puppy!
Misty and Finlay
What gets to me more is they allow their kids to throw their arms around Finlay's neck without so much as a question as to his safety. It had never been so obvious as it was to me yesterday. Mothers and kids flocked around Finlay and Sandra's Misty, very few asked permission to stroke them, they just did. Both are GSD's, both are white and long coated, people didn't know what they were they just saw white fluffy dogs. Seriously and luckily for me Sammi seemed oblivious to the fact the human race's attitude has changed towards her, she spent all day trying to find a canine friend to play with!
Nain and Sultan
I remember in the 90ies having a similar experience with Sultan. A lady and her children came over and were stroking him, as ever he loved it. She said "Oh God he's like a big teddy bear ... what breed is he?" Rottweiler ... OMG you've never seen anyone jump back so fast in your life, with hindsight It was funny! I have to admit it was at that time that the breed where receiving really bad press so to a point maybe I could understand her concern, but the worse thing Sultan ever did in his life was pee up my Nain's leg. (Grandmother) I guess that sometimes the bad reputation of some members of their breed sadly precedes them ....