Sunday 21 September 2014

A Confession Of Confusion

Where do I start? To quote Mrs Brown, "I've no fecking idea." This post will no doubt be a mixture of thoughts, emotions and confusion!
Mr Orange with his black face really appeals to me
The puppies! Well I was so adamant wasn't I? No puppy, but yesterday's activities have left me in a state of total confusion. The 3 week old pups are adorable, 10 stunning babies of lovely substance with super coats and colour. At this stage it's hard to criticises any of them really, yeah one boy was a little smaller, but he wasn't lacking anything else really. If I were going to be critical,
and as I said a few days ago this is personal preference, some, like their mum, will not have a very dark mask, but she has enough!
Steve and I were smitten with the pups and the setting they are being brought up in is just ideal. Again 10 out of 10 to the owner/breeder for creating such a super space within the home for mother and puppies. As we talked Ian announced that he would love us to have a puppy. I explained that I was hoping to breed from Jezi next year so this was not the right time for us. As we traveled home Steve and I discussed the possibilities and how promising this litter looks at this age.
Stunning Mr Red will have less mask
Later in the afternoon Ian rang, he said "Listen, I don't think we made ourselves clear earlier, we really want you to have a puppy, any puppy you like, take the one you think is the best and get him/her in the show ring. You've done so much to help us it's only fair you should have a pup." Initially I was speechless and quite choked. Of course I want a bloody puppy, they are Nico's kids, and they are beautiful, why would I not want one of these puppies? But then my head stepping in and telling me, I currently have 8 dogs, a number we cope with easily. We have 2 packs that mostly get on well together, if I brought in another puppy which pack would he fit into? What if we had another Kiri scenario? We both know we have not been successful at introducing bitches into the home, but we have done well with males, is that a consideration?
I honestly don't know what to do? If I did bring a pup in I could put off mating Jezi for a year I guess, but that would make her over 4 years old and that's something I'd have to really look into again. I guess the most sensible thing to do is wait, if it doesn't mess up the breeders plans I could go and see the pups again in 3 weeks and then decide. If a male pup "really stands out" then that's the time for serious discussions and consideration
. Honestly my head is Cabbaged!!!!