Wednesday 3 September 2014

Remember The Runaway Angel?


It's now been 2 months since the last scary "runaway angel" incident. I don't know why she suddenly stopped doing it, but my god I'm glad she did! Was it just a phase she was going through or have the two interventions influence her behaviour? You may remember after a frustrating and scary 20 mins of trying to catch her at the end of a walk she came flying down the track behind me; with precision timing that's usually alien to me I grabbed her and pinned her to the floor holding her down for about 20 seconds before marching her home on the lead. I don't believe in smacking as it simply makes no sense in doggy language, but I did swear a fair few choice words in her face as she was pinned to the floor!
Only days later she charged off towards some campers by the lake, but in fairness returned to a recall a fair distance before getting to them. I was so chuffed to see her coming back so enthusiastically and was ready to praise her, sadly for her her mother had other ideas! Ziva threw her to the ground and growled aggressively in her face, keeping her "down" for a fair few seconds before allowing her to get up and continue with the walk.
Between us I guess we both reprimanded her in a similar way, I comforted myself at the time that I was walking away and not calling her, so I caught her in the act so to speak. But Ziva did exactly what we have been told never to do,  she reprimand the puppy on her returning to the pack which now makes me doubt everything I have been taught, we still have much to learn from pack behaviour.
Now I'm not saying all our recall problems are over and my heart still churns as I return home to the top gate. Will she come in or will she leg it down the track again? But with every day and ever walk that passes my confidence in her builds. Like I said I don't know why the behaviour changed but from the day I caught her charging down the track from behind me she has never done it again. No I'm not complacent, this is Sammi Belle, bright, inquisitive and very confident of her own self. Maybe I've won this round, but I fear there's a few more rounds to the war just yet!