Tuesday 20 March 2012

My Beautiful Big Dog

Kai The Hooligan - March 08
It's the silence that gets me today, it's not been this quiet here for 4 years. How many times did I threaten to kill him if he didn't "shut the F**k up?" But I'd pay anything to hear his individual howling bark once more! Four years, that's all the time we had, but the pleasure and privilege of his company was without comparison. Actually it's 4 years to the month since he joined us at Blanik. In that time he wormed his way into the forefront of my heart, and now he has left me and broken my heart.
I guess it all started in 2007. Most of you know that my beautiful family was ripped apart in that year. Maybe with hindsight I could accept Seffe and Dexi dying three weeks apart, they were a good age but to loose Jay and Krizzie as well took me over the edge. So when I was told by Mark at a show early in 2008 that Kaiser Vom Conbhairean was for sale my brain went into overdrive. I'd seen the dog at numerous shows going back to when he was a puppy, and I had really admired the dog. After some persuasive pleading with Steve, Sharon and I went off to Zakasia to meet Kaiser, and obviously came back with him! (as if we wouldn't!) Maybe at the time my reasons for buying him were not the "right" ones for my kennel; and maybe during those first few noisy loutish months I had a tad of regret at bringing this hooligan into my home. But as we got to really know each other I guess we both fell in love! He was dedicated and loyal to me, he gave me his all and wouldn't even go in the field with Steve if I stayed in the house, he decided he was without doubt "my" dog.
The Show Dog Stood By Breeder Heather.
Typical of his breed Kai was aloof with strangers unless they came bearing toys, but there was one other person that Kai loved without question. His Aunty Shaz ... as he called her! (And he was the only one who got away with that!) Even during his last few minutes seeing Sharon lifted his mood. I'm glad they had the opportunity to say good, friends always should.
So many funny tales come to mind, he was without doubt a big clown, the joker in the pack. As a mature adult he would never start trouble, but was quite happy to finish it if it was needed. He was dismissive of the other males here, though they often tested him there was no doubt they feared him and he ruled simply by his outstanding presence.  His love of food was only slightly over shadowed by his obsession for toys and the contents of any bag. No bag was safe in his company and he's steal anything from under your nose, if it was there he always presumed it was for him. Only a few weeks ago you may recall the disappearance of 6 eggs and 3 frozen onion rings!
In His Favourite Place -Cwn Dulyn
Kai was only mated to 4 bitches, sadly there's was only one litter born. The first bitch missed, Tali as you know had a lovely litter, the third bitch reabsorbed her litter and dear Tara this year lost her full term pups due to a catalogue of events that in my opinion could have been avoided! What I would do to have one of those babies now!

Today I feel sick to the pit of my stomach, I can't imagine not ever holding him again. That huge neck and coat, those soft endearing eyes, always trusting and kind. His naughty playful nature, that spark of puppy mischievousness that never left him. How do I move on without him? How do I cook a meal in that kitchen without his interference and distraction? I don't know, but for the sake of his children and his grandchildren I do have to find the strength.
18/3/12 - Out In The Sun with his New Toy
Kai my darling I may have more to say tomorrow but for now I have to leave this, the tears hurt my eyes and I can type no more. My big beautiful dog thank you for everything you gave my, I'm heartbroken and I love you so much. Please stay with me forever and show me the way through life. Rest in peace my darling, until I'm privileged to meet you again I will always cherish my wonderful memory's of you. You were a credit to your breed and your breeder and more importantly my closest friend.
Nos Da My Awesome Dog.
You Have Been Loved