Monday 5 March 2012

Kai Update


Kai _
I'm staying in my bed!
Well I guess I really panicked this morning, for the first time ever, Kai didn't eat. I made a vets appointment and decided to walked him down the track first. He was lethargic and disinterested.  But at the vets it's was better news than I expected, Kai couldn't contain himself and had to try and pinch a toy, or two! Anyway he has a mild temperature but they are hopeful that the respiratory infection he has is not related to the enlarged prostate. Apparently prostate cancer is rare in dogs, though there is obviously still concern due to the weight loss etc. He has been given two lots of antibiotics (Trimacare and Dolagis) and we need to take him back if there is no improvement by the end of the week.
I thought this was interesting and well worth knowing, "Prostate cancer can occur in neutered or intact male dogs of any age. It typically occurs in older dogs, on average at about 10 years of age, depending upon breed. Large and giant breed dogs normally have a shorter life expectancy than do smaller dogs. As a result, they tend to develop prostate cancer earlier than other dogs. There is no recognized breed predisposition to development of prostate cancer. However, middle-sized, large and giant breeds seem to be more commonly affected."
It's hard to believe the big lad has been here for almost 4 years now. My bond with him is so strong. It's never a voluntary thing but I usually find I have a much stronger bond with the dogs I breed and keep than the ones that join us later in life. Kai is without doubt the exception! He's an awesome dog with a character to match his size ... and his gob! He's affectionate, loyal, playful, funny and his obedience is almost faultless. There is no doubt that there's an aura about him, people always look when our Kai walks into a room!
Here's hoping he's soon back smashing eggs and eating frozen onion rings....