Saturday 24 March 2012

Just Thinking Aloud

Kiri and Kai - Nov 2010
I was sitting in the field with the kids today, happy in their company but sad, so sad inside. I hope you will understand what I'm trying to say here, I mean, I hope I can explain myself clearly. I have a house full of life, believe me with 9 dogs and 5 cats there's never a dull moment. But still I have this huge emptiness inside me, the biggest presence in my life and our home is now missing. The silence is deafening, without doubt Kai was the noisiest dog I've ever owned, with Jay and Storm fighting for second place! (Kai sounded almost like a hound, or even a pack of hounds at times!)
I just can't get my head around loosing him, it was only 3 weeks since we first took him to the vet, and I only went then because I was going with Louis and was a little unhappy with his behaviour. In just 3 weeks he was taken from me. I had no time to prepare, if one can prepare for such things anyway. Over the years I've loved and lost many a best friend, but this has left me shattered.
1999 The Boys At The Back
Blade, Dexi and Jake
with Nikki, Seffe and Kiri in the front
As I sit there thinking Kiri pushes in for a cuddle and I start to think about her life. Then I realised that over her 13 years of life she has lived with ever GSD that I have ever owned myself ... and Pepsi, she lived with Pepsi too. Kiri was born in 1999 and my first GSD, Blade died in 2001. What a life she's had, if only others had been so lucky. She's seen so many come and go, hard to believe she's out lived Krizzie, Jay, Storm and now Kai .... somehow it's just not right! Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge her a thing, I just wish the other had seen the years she's had.
Tomorrow I have a show, I hope to go but i also feel an uncertainty about going alone. I have to pull myself together, for all the other I have to go..... And for Kai, I owe him so much and I have the responsibility of keeping his name alive and the honor of showing off his magnificent progeny.... yeah I'll go, I'll do it for you Kai!