Monday 12 August 2024

Too Hot?

What I know is that puppies are born in an immature state and can't regelate their body temperature. What I know is that cold puppies die. What I know is that for about 14 days their body temperature is as low as 34.4 - 37.2 c and does not get to the adult temperature of 38.5 c till 35 days. What I know is the whelping box must maintain a constant temperature of a minimum of 26 to 30 degrees. But for the hell of me what I don't know is what to do at 1am when I'm hot, Siska is too hot and the puppies are going to the corners of the box, so they must have been hot too. 
Siska had pulled the bedding back and she and the puppies were on the papers, that in itself was hindering their mobility but maybe she found it cooler than the vet bed. At that time of night there is no one to ask, you have to make an executive decision. My first plan was to lift the lamp up 8", it didn't seem to help. The second plan was to put a smaller vet bed in the box, leave half with bedding and half with paper, and switch off the heat lamp. The temp in the room was warm and with Siska in the box, if they cooled a little she was there to give them some body heat. Thankfully that worked and Siska then settled and stayed in the box all night ... 
Pups in this order in the photo - Opal, Amber and Jet.