Tuesday 13 August 2024

Heat, Sleep, Mica And Collars

Breakfast in bed this morning. All three are spread out so they must be warm enough. 
It was all change again here last night. Thankfully, we've not had the intense heat experienced in other parts of the country, and actually it was quite cool yesterday evening. Siska was very unsettled under the lamp again, but the room was also cool, so sometime between midnight and 1am I swapped the heat lamp for an oil filled radiator in the room. She stopped panting quite quickly and she and her little ones had a peaceful night.  
A bath for Jet and a midnight feast for the girls last night. 
I had a cry last night as I thought how there had been 4 in the box a week ago. I cried again this morning as I told Steve I was going to get a little garden ornament to sit with Mica. Winnie has her rabbit and the twins have a little dog. We didn't name the twins as neither took a breath, but they were full term so we don't forget them either. 
Last night proved to me again how important it is for me to sleep with the pups till they are more mobile, so yeah another two week on the camp bed. Siska was so busy washing someone and slid down and lay on Opal. The pup's screams were muffled, and Siska seemed oblivious to her plight. I had to pull a confused Siska up by her collar. We could well have had a suffocated puppy by morning. Sadly so many people have experienced such losses, over the years I've had the experience to know it really isn't worth the risk. 
I didn't think they would need coloured collars as they were easy to tell apart, but with Opal now putting so much weight on she's harder to tell apart, and I may have to. It's easy when you really look, but the collars would help me identify them at a glance. 
The L litter - Raven - Black, Robin - Red, Wren -Brown. Pink was Pink after the pop star, and Siska? Well there she is wearing white! I'd decided she would be wearing white as soon as she was born and that's why she would be called Geraldine ... if you don't know think about it ... a Vicar, who lived in Dibley! haha 
So Black for Jet, Orange or yellow for Amber ... but Opal? Not sure "The colour of an opal is a magnificent thing. Unlike any other gem, opals can display all the colours of the rainbow in an iridescent, moving pattern of red, green, blue, yellow, purple, aqua, pink, and any other colour you can imagine."