Sunday 14 July 2024

Day 42

Siska still looks quite small at 30.5 -  31" - somewhere in-between where Sammi was with the first litter and Kaiah with her 7. Sammi is a much bigger, broader bitch so it was easier for her to hide them. It was day 41 from ovulation before I started measuring her as I was convinced I could see a difference in her. When I started measuring pregnant bellies I did think I was a bit nuts, and didn't really discuss it much, but I have since found it was actually an old-fashioned way of keeping an eye on pregnancies and a lot of people still do it! There is even a little bit of info on it online ... 
"The old fashion way is to start taking measurements around her belly area with a tape measure. Check weekly. After the third or fourth week you should start to see some weight gain and enlargement of that area. Later in the pregnancy, sixth or seventh week you may be able to feel movement but that doesn't always happen. It depends on the size of the bitch and the litter."