Tuesday 5 March 2024

My Name Is ...

Whenever I hear a name that I like, I write it down. Names starting with "M" for the next litter and also pet names. In my mind Siska's daughter was going to be registered as Blanik Miss Otis and pet name was going to be Oti. Now that can't happen, Oti and Beti sound too similar and could cause confusion in the home and my stepson has called his cat Otis, so I can't really add the "S" to my female either. Of course, I can and probably still will use the registered name, but now my pet name needs a rethink. 
For a while I've been thinking of using another Welsh pet name, and I love Mali, with a translation that means “jasmine flower," it's also listed as Welsh for Molly. It wasn't until this week that I thought about the complication that could come up in the dog world as the breed Malinois is mostly shortened to Mali. I must admit, it's put me off now. 
The other night I heard another name that caught my attention, "Yinka." Not one I know, but I quite like it, and I really don't like using names that are too popular. The meaning of Yinka is "Surrounded' - by wealth, by God, by good things" and is of Nigerian origin. My hesitation with this name again comes from the risk of it becoming confusing Siska - Yinka. 
Also on my pet name list are Neev or Neeva, Kinsi, Nella and Nera. Mila is still there, but I made the mistake of telling someone that it was my original choice of name for Siska, and when they got a puppy, well I bet you can guess what the called her! lol 
Anyway I'm constantly looking and thinking, an easy name to call that doesn't sound too similar to any current pack or cat name. Of course not a name that is popular or if it's Welsh not a name that will be mispronounced in English ... one thing I have learned though is that I often change my mind, over and over again.