Thursday 28 March 2024

A Loki Rant

When you are sitting at the vets with an old dog by your side, wouldn't you think that people would be a little more considerate than to allow their Cockers to jump in his face? Of course Loki did nothing wrong except sit up to get away from them, and I got daggers as I pushed one away from his face. Think people think.
I was already a stress head when I got there. I got up to snow and couldn't get out for Loki's morning appointment. Beth was not available this afternoon, but Ken was there, so I said yes to that time. 
With a free morning, I enjoyed taking everyone out in the snow, it was the most accumulation that we've had in years but with Spring sunshine it was melting in front of my eyes. On the group of four walk I realised something was wrong with Loki and I came back home to get Loki into the warm. He was swollen like a barrel and shaking ... as soon as I got in, I gave him his "bloat" tablets. He ate some biscuits which was a relief and I rubbed his belly, honest to god it was rock hard. Steve and I recall that this has happened more than once before to him in snow.  I think he eats so much of it that it upsets his system. Eating small amounts of snow can cause gastrointestinal upset in some dogs, whilst in some dogs they can suffer from something more serious called snow gastritis. Logically, eating the snow lowered his core body temperature, making it more difficult for him to stay warm and causing him to shiver/shake.  Keeping a close eye on him, we were able to relax within an hour or so.
By the time we were going to the vets it was pouring down with rain, all the snow had gone and it was just horrible out there. Between getting the dogs into the van and opening and closing the top gate I was soaked .. and no, I didn't have the right clothes. The journey took forever with all the bank holiday traffic heading the same way, and the weather was just as vile there. 
Loki had a pee on the way into the vets and we both sat soggily waiting to be seen. I just can't get over the rudeness of people and their inability to control their dogs in these situations. Ok they may have only been bringing their dogs in for their unnecessary boosters but some animals sitting in that room are old or infirm and deserve respect. My dog deserves respect, he does not deserve to have three stupid Cockers leaping into his face ... and as ever the owners are to blame. Loki did nothing wrong, but he had to sit up twice from the down to get away from them, that is not comfortable for him. Yes I'm really annoyed, I was seething, My old dog deserves respect as does everyone's dog, whether they be old, ill, or just plain grumpy ... give them space and keep your fecking Cockers in their own space. 
Ken thought Loki looked well, but I guess the last time he saw him he was really poorly with that chest infection. He assured me that the snow had caused the bloating this morning and that he was over it now, though his bladder was very full. His weight is back up to 40kg, though his responses in his hind quarters are pretty shit, to be fair I think Ken said sluggish. Loki had his librela injection, I've decided to carry on with them. I understand that they may not be recommended for Loki's issues, but it's working. Along with the paracetamol and steroid it's giving him the quality of life he deserves and his day by day well-being is far more important than worrying about the  "what ifs?" of the future. 
Oh I just remembered ... The lump on Loki's leg is nothing but bone ... Ken said he had one himself, I declined the offer of a look!