Wednesday 6 September 2017

Chat With A Friend

Ross fell asleep on his visitor!
An interesting chat last night with the breeder of the mother of sable 2 has left me deep in thought. The puppies are 4 months old now and though the vet says he can now feel both testicles neither are descended. Will they? Won't they? Only time will tell. She has not seen him at all since he left but has seen the other sable retained by the breeder and of course she has 2 females herself from the litter. Currently she is very disappointed with the 3 that she sees and non of them have "ears" yet. The sable is leggy and a pale colour, the standard coat bitch is short couple and has a raised back and the long coat looks like she's had a perm. The breed standard for the L/c does stated that the coat may not be straight, but of course a curly coat is not desirable.
For me sable 2 stood out in that litter .. he sure had my heart, and though it was not to be I'd love to see what he looks like now. Strangely little Teddy who looked, shall we say, a little plain as a 6 week old puppy now looks super. Ok, the Quenn line in his pedigree was the deciding factor but it seems the boy looks far better than anyone expected, proving breeding is never a science eh! (I'll post some photos of Teddy in a separate post!)
I'm happy with Ross, like I said he would not have made anyone a suitable first time GSD but I'm now confident that between me and the pack .. well mostly Loki and Asha, we will soon have him on track. I'm still happy with his conformation and his colour is super. My only reservation remains, coat. Will he have enough? He doesn't need to be a Nico who has a huge coat .. as long as he has enough to give glamour I'll be happy!