Thursday 14 August 2014

Chalk and Cheese

Darling Danni
This week the "H" litter were three years old. Poor Asha got into trouble with the first birth, but a quick dash to the vets and the fantastic work of this vet and his team brought the babies safely into the world. Home and safe Asha was a good mother, but I firmly believe that having missed the birth her bond with her little ones was not as strong as it could have been.
Two boys and three long coated bitches sold pretty quickly, but the only interest in the standard coat bitches came from unsuitable homes. I'm sure I don't need to go over old ground, but with three litter sisters we had hell on earth. (Enya just never involved herself in any of the trouble) The fights were evil, and their characters I'm sure affected by the tension around them. An experience I hope we never have to repeat!  Enya was lucky to leave at 5 months old ... but the three witches were to stay together a lot longer. As you may remember most of the tension and trouble was between Danni and Jezi. Danni and Ziva were close and played beautifully together. Though Danni loved the sound of her own voice  she had the sweetest of natures, but with hindsight maybe we should have seen that her attitude often caused the trouble. She would sit on Steve's lap looking down at her sisters, something small I know, but without doubt she was made to feel very important! When the girls were 8 months old a home was offered to one of them. I could never have parted with Ziva, she was my baby; at the time we felt there was a risk that Jezi was going to grow into a problem dog and we wanted to keep her safe, so the obvious choice for leaving was Danni. It broke our hearts, wrecked us, but without doubt it was the best decision all round. Danni has the best life, a wonderful home with wonderful people. I pray we will one day get to see her again, but if not I know we did the right thing by Danni.
Jezi with her beloved Nico
From that day things changed dramatically at "Blanik," Jezi became a different person and within weeks I was showing her. At 9 months old she won her first BOB, and she hasn't looked back since. Though she is still aloof with strangers and doesn't care for the attention of strange dogs she has grown so much in personality, and is quite the class clown these days. Her bond with Nico is touching, without doubt he has helped her "shine." She also has a new friend in Junior, it's quite funny to see them playing together ... though I do wonder if really he's just tormenting her. Jezi has also grown into a beautiful looking bitch, she tall and athletic looking. (Though not oversize)  As ever I'm critical of my own and her colour is really not to my taste. She could also benefit from more angles front and rear, but she is balanced and has a beautiful head and expression, a lovely clean overline and super movement. Yeah I'm well impressed with the adult bitch!
Ziva, well what can I say? My spoiled brat, though she can be spiteful she's the most obedient bitch I've ever owned. She's devoted to me, a lot like the boys in that way I guess, maybe to a point of obsession like Louis was and Mikey is. Ziva is bubbly and funny and the only place she doesn't show her true self is in the show ring. But if I never show her again, well who cares, I've got a devoted happy bubbly bitch who has given me a super litter and whom I love sharing my life with.
Ziva and her stunning daughter Sammi
These sisters are different in all ways, looks and personality,  Ziva is a super colour with good angles and a huge coat. (Thanks Kai!) She has the most beautiful ground covering movement, the kind that takes your breath away, but on the negative side her ear set is wide and her overline doesn't flow like her sisters. She's shorter in length of leg and is much stockier, a little like Kiri was, but with a lot more coat.  She's happy to greet strangers and was wonderful with everyone who visited her babies.
So where do I go now? Do I breed from Ziva again or do I spay her? Do I breed from Jezi? I'm now certain that any early behavioral problems with simply environmental so that is not a factor to consider. There is good colour in her bloodlines so she should produce good colour, especially if mated to a dog of rich pigment. So she would need a health tested dog with a superior pedigree, a medium size boy (She's a top height bitch) with strong pigment, a super front and good turn of stifle. Hmmm ... anyone come to mind??????
Jezi is in season now, well she has just finished actually so I have 5 months to think about it. I do it then or not at all, otherwise she'll be 4 years old and I find that a bit late for a first litter really. So no decisions made, but lots to think about!