Sunday 20 January 2013

The "A" Word

I haven't used the word "Alsatian" since I was a child and then I didn't know better. Now I always correct anyone who uses it and happily give an explanation to anyone who asks. I tell them that anyone who has the facts and continue to use it are ignorant or uneducated
What I hate more than "Alsatian" is people who spell it "Alsation!" I'm sure you know I'm not the best at spelling ... letters are often different in my first language of Welsh and I occasionally have translation problems .. that's my excuse anyway!
Most people involved in GSD's know there is a huge divide in this breed between people who consider the international German Shepherd to be correct, and people who promote English bloodlines. In my opinion people who promote the "English GSD" are not helping themselves at all, the majority do not believe in health testing, saying they have "No Problems" in their lines. They breed a heavy dog with short legs dippy backlines and questionable characters. They refuse to use any "German" bloodlines and so their gene pool is getting smaller and smaller.They are inbreeding heavily on old epileptic lines and producing dogs who carry and produce epilepsy. Though obviously it does exist, epilepsy is rare in German bloodlines. Hemophilia was a problem in German stock, but with testing carried out and carriers eliminated from breeding stock there have been no cases in years.
Now I find the "English bloodline" exhibitors want to try to split the breed.(Not the first time they've tried) They hate our unsound, weak hocked bent backed dogs and want to go it alone. But where the hell will they get new blood from? They will dig themselves and their poor dogs into a position on no return. If left to their own devices I fear for the future of their poor dogs! I know the "German/International" type is not perfect, they have their faults and like all walk of life the breed has it's extremists, but to me their simply is no comparison in healthy, type or character.
So their dogs don't fit the standard? ...hell let's change it!!!!
If you have time have a read ...
http://www.thealsatian.co.uk/