Friday 18 January 2013

Snow And Names

Well I should have been at work ... but after getting up at 6.15am as normal, the blizzard conditions got the better of me. So what does one do at 7.30am, dressed and awake but cold? Well light the fire and play on facebook I guess. Good move. Thanks to Heather for posting another photo of a baby Nico for me... What a star he is... this sure did make me smile! Nice to see he loved to carry things around even then, still does now, though these days he does give preference to having my hands in his mouth!!!
Last year I checked the meaning of the names of all our dogs so I decided to do the same with Nico. Well I know the Welsh meaning of  "Nico" it's were I got his name from. I'd called "Jay" after a bird (He was Jacob when he came here) so decided to do the same with Nico. (His original pet name was Danko - his registered name) A "Nico" in English is a Goldfinch ..beautiful birds, beautiful dog :) Looking into it a little further...... "The origin of Nico is Greek, and is a diminutive of Nicholas, meaning 'people of victory.' Nico is one of the great nickname names, full of charm, energy and sex appeal. It has risen 95 places in the past year, one of the ten highest risers on the boys' list in 2011.
Nico is commonly heard in Italy--as a short form of Niccolo--and also in France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, and Spanish-speaking countries."
And Danko? ....  as a boy's name is a variant of Daniel (Hebrew), and the meaning is "God is my judge."
So now we all know!