Sunday 27 July 2014

Reprimand

We all know, don't we, that we should never reprimand a puppy/dog who is returning after being recalled? Always praise, no matter how long it takes you to get them back, how frustrated you are ... always praise.
Yesterday as we got to the lake I saw several tents and several people with kids hanging around the "campsite," so I went the other way. Suddenly Sammi saw them and started running back towards them. I imagined her joining in with the fun .., eating their breakfasts and soaking their bedding. I called ... "Sammi come ... Sammi, Sammi come and she came to a halt. The other four dogs were with me, and I could see her brain ticking over. "Shall I or shan't I?" Thank god she did... she came running back towards us. I continued to call her enthusiastically ...."Sammi come ... good girl, good puppy dog." She was almost smiling as she returned to the pack. I was ready to give her physical praise on her arrival ... but just before she got to me her mum intervened; Ziva threw her to the ground and growled aggressively in her face, keeping her "down" for a fair few seconds before allowing her to get up and continue with the walk. I didn't say a word, sometimes mummy knows best! But didn't she just do exactly what we have been told never to do? Didn't she just reprimand the puppy on her returning to the pack? That's how I saw it .... but one thing was for sure it worked and Sammi didn't think of going back that way again!