Saturday 5 July 2014

East Of England

The wake -up call at 3.30 am and the long trip the Peterborough wasn't something I was looking forward to ... but when I sent in my entries it all seemed such a good idea!!!! Judging was at 9am, and the weather made the journey long and tedious, it rained from door to door. Thank God for the company of friends. Nico was travelling down with Sarah who had been staying over for a few days; myself, my friend, Sammi, Gary Barlow, Robbie Williams and Boy George travelling and singing along in the van!!!
The entries where not the best, but I cringed as I looked at the catalogue and saw the top winners in Nico's class. I have to confess my heart sank a little, but hey hoo ... we were there by then!
The judge was arrogant and rude! Without uttering a word he pointed at the exhibitors and used only hand gestures to direct them; rolling his eyes for all to see if they didn't understand his directions! I gather he did ask the ages of the dogs ... but not another word crossed his lips. Now there really is no need, manners don't cost a penny, and whether this man really does suffer from "SMS" (Small Man Syndrome-LOL) or not is besides the point!
Anyway, Nico gave of his best, even if his handler did fall on top of him when gaiting round, (his concern for her was touching!) I was pleased that he was 3rd behind 2 CC winning dogs, equally pleased that he wasn't last as I had feared he would be. As Nico's class drew to a close I stood watching and concentrating on him when I suddenly heard a splash and the sound of a dog playing in water ... Yes you've guessed it .. "Twas the Sammi!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and the Old English Sheepdog exhibitors who were grooming close by were none to pleased with their shower of muddy water! . There were 2 more classes until Sammi was to make her debut in a Champ Show ring .... and I cringed "look at the state of her!" One thing was for certain Mr Personality in the ring would certainly not see the funny side of of a mud splattered exhibit!!!!
After some hard work with a towel little Sammi made her way into the ring, my stomach was in knots. Always critical of my own this time I stood there and thought, My god she's the best in there ... she could win ... she should win! The judge assess the bitches in the class individually and then pulled Sammi into the middle. I was confused ....Sammi stayed in and the others came out. Sammi was presented with the first prize and I was over the moon .... but what of the others? Mr Personality had found them unworthy of a prize and the Crufts qualification available for the first three. Harsh, all other places had been withheld. (but maybe honest?) I felt for the exhibitors ... it's never happened to me and I think I'd be embarrassed and gutted.
It was a great day for us ... 2 Crufts qualifications and a fantastic start to Sammi's Champ show career ... but then there was the long journey home, at least that was in sunshine!!!