Sunday 22 June 2014

Six Months On....

It was to be a birth like I had never known before...
When there was three! 
It was the 23rd of December 2013 and Ziva had been uncomfortable all day, as the evening approached Steve and I took turns sitting with her, the birth was imminent. When the madness of shredding paper and rapid digging was over, Ziva became a little more settled and her waters broke. As I cleaned the fluid I prepared myself for the usual hour or so of contractions and pushing ..but puppy number one had other ideas and arrived at the vulva as I was still cleaning the box. One quick push and Bonnie (aka Holly) had arrived, it was 7.50pm and she weighed a comfortable 1lb. I helped Ziva to clean her, and made sure she was breathing and warm. The puppy was strong but every time she went to feed Ziva stood up, turned round or pushed her off. I was a little concerned as I really wanted her to get that first feed, but I knew I had a little time on my hands.
It didn't seem that long until puppy number 2 was on it way, again I saw very little in the way contractions and with a quick push at 8.25 pm Stella (aka Ivy) almost "fell" out. This bitch was obviously smaller (12oz) and they were easy to tell apart. As I tried to clean her Ziva did something none of my bitches have ever done before, she leaned over, took hold of the puppy and took her off me. These were "her" babies! I was not going to upset her and help her dry the pup between her front paws. Shortly both pups were settled and suckling ... but their peace was to be short lived as another puppy was on his way. I put the girls on a clean vet bed in the washing basket as I always do between each birth, there really is no point in them getting repeatedly drenched!
A knackered but Settled Ziva with her brood
(24.12.13 - 1.54 am)
It was 8.45 when Cal (aka Nick) graced us with his presence. At 1lb 4oz he just needed an extra push, but this was yet another easy birth for Ziva. I cleaned the box; I had never seen so much fluid in my life. It was no wonder Ziva had looked so huge, but I wondered if the fluid had been a little extra help in lubricating the path for the puppies easy births.
And then we waited ..... and we waited ...... and still we waited......I knew there was nothing wrong, Ziva was relaxed and calm, her beautiful babies were suckling, warm and becoming plumper by the minute. But still we waited ....
Steve went off to bed and I decided to take Ziva out for a wee, I was hoping the movement would stimulate the next puppy's arrival. Within minutes of coming back in and with very little effort the next little lady was born. It was 10.55pm when Luna (aka Jingle) joined us. She too weighed exactly a lb. By now Ziva knew exactly what she was doing, but did comfortably allow me to dry the puppy, as long as I did everything within the box.
With everyone settled again we waited ... and we waited.....
Just A Few Hours Old
At 12.15am little Barney (aka Noel) arrived, well when I say little, he was the largest puppy born at 1lb 5 oz. As i dried him I must have lent back just a little too far, Ziva stood up took hold of the puppy and pulled him back towards her, as she did I noticed another puppy was being born and that then became a more pressing matter. Someone was sure in a hurry to join us and at 12.25am on the 24th of December our Sammi Belle had arrived.
I had never seen a bitch give birth to the first pup immediately after her waters broke.
I had never seen a bitch pull a puppy back off me whilst I helped dry then. (and I hold them literally a foot away from them)
I had never seen two puppies born within minutes of each other.
I had never seen a bitch give birth so easily.
We learn something new everyday, I learned a lot that night!
Prior to the birth everyone who had seen Ziva or seen photos of her had told me to expect a large litter. I could see why, she was huge underneath, but looking down over her back there was very little enlargement. This had me hoping for a moderate size litter .. and that was exactly what we had. Masses of fluid and a wonderful moderate sized litter!
Baby Belle
That night I cried, new life, so precious so wonderful, so perfect.  I swear everyday since I have smiled, they and now "she" have warmed up my heart. She is amazing, so beautiful, so funny, so sweet .. and yeah a little demanding, but who cares! And the others? I have been so blessed with their owners/homes; I was so lucky, I could be ever more fussy than normal, and I was. I could have sold them all twice over and a few people were very disappointed. But I gave these babies who I felt were the best owners for them, who could give them the best lives, I had no reservations with these people. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for everything you do for these babies. Please keep the information and the photos coming, it really does mean the world to me!
Hopefully we will have photies of many if not all of the kids tomorrow! xxx