Sunday 8 June 2014

Kittens at Work

Just one pen from one "farmer" who also brought in his dog! 
This little guy who looks not too dissimilar to a baby Jamie, has got to me! As we all grabbed a tabby to worm he was the one I picked up first. Having never had much human contact he was hissing, spitting and biting. I pinned him to my cleavage holding him firmly by his scruff, his ears were back and his huge eyes were bulging with fear, but I hung on! Several times I tried to release my grip, but he turned into a mad man and clawed his way up my neck, but still I hung on. There really is something quite amusing about a 7 week old kitten having a strop! After about 5 mins he started to relax, his little ears came forward and his little body became less rigid. He melted in my arms (or actually on my boobs!!!!) ... and I melted too!!! It was time to move on and grab the next mad man ... which I did .. part of the job! But this little guy .. this "Jamie Junior" had touched my heart ... this little guy had screamed out loud ... Take me home! I left work on Tuesday determined to forget about him, it would be 6 days till I saw him again, but have I forgotten him? Have I hell!" If anything it's got worse with everyday, now I just can't wait to see him again tomorrow.
  After Abi went I said "no more cats." After all 5 and a Snowflake really is enough! But what can I do, we currently have 63 kittens in our care at the Rescue Centre. 63 kittens in one small rescue centre in one corner of the country. In my 11 years of working there it's the worse it's ever been! The same farmers year after year bring in kittens, we take them in, I sort out neutering vouchers for the adults and still more kittens and excuses. And yeah, hands up I said no more but this little fella has really got to me. I agree with Steve, we don't "need" another cat, that is very true. But I'm looking at it differently, look at what we have, look at what we can offer. We have the space, the time and endless love to give here. This is an ideal spot for a cat, they have everything they could ever need here, how could we not at least try and help? I can do a limited amount to help the 62 others, I can hope that we as a team at work find them the best homes, and quickly as the waiting list is endless, but for this little guy ... well hopefully I can give him the world!