Tuesday 24 June 2014

A Bit Of A Wobble ....

Last night we had a bit of a panic. Earlier everything had seemed normal, Junior had been playing out in the yard with Jamie. He ran, he jumped, he chewed things and chased things. Just before 5 pm I struggled to catch him and take him into the kitchen for his meal. Within minutes of eating he vomited all his food, but he was OK. I left him in peace in the kitchen and went back to check on him about 15 minutes later ... he was fast asleep on the window seat. To be honest I gave it only a little thought, "What had he eaten in the yard to make him throw up like that?"
About 6.45pm I went to check on him again. There was vomit on the kitchen floor ... lots of vomit, about 7 lots in all. I cleaned up before stroking him on his head, he purred and I remember thinking, "he looks OK!" Then for some reason I lifted him to his feet, he toppled over onto his side ... as if not believing what I saw I lifted him up to his feet again, he toppled over again! Still in denial I put him on the floor, he tried to stand before toppling over. I put him back on the seat, ran into the living room to tell Steve and threw the dogs out into the yard. Now in the living room I placed him on the floor for Steve to see, he wobbled but didn't topple over. What the hell was going on? I decided to take his temperature, I had seen kitten at work unsteady on their feet when they had high temperatures. I returned to the living room with my thermometer, looked at the thermometer, looked at Junior's bottom and chickened out of it ...No way, I couldn't do it! Steve put Junior back on the floor, he was much less wobbly and set off to play. I was still in panic mode and honestly felt sick, it was all just too familiar! Steve persuaded me to give him a bit longer and leaving him with Junior I took the dogs for 10 mins into the field. When I returned they were both playing on the floor, I could still see a slight uncertainty in his footing but the improvement was obvious...so I took the other dogs to the field. Again I only stayed out about 10 mins but when I came into the living room Junior was running over the furniture and had the look of the kitten devil in his eyes. Junior was back to normal.
So what the hell happened? I've really no idea. Did he eat something which really really upset him? Was he then weak from all the vomiting? Did Jamie squash him? Did he have a bug? .. did he eat a bug? lol  All I can say is that as scary as it was it was very short lived and thank god everything seems ok today!