Sunday 12 January 2014

First Born - Last Out


Well I passed my intelligence test and managed to set the alarm for 3am on the right day ... all slept peacefully with mummy Ziva on her bed next to the whelping box. I went back to bed and was off back to somewhere warm and comfortable within minutes. The next thing I remember was being woken up hearing distant screaming. It was 6.50am. Luckily the cottage is an L shape and the bedroom in the extension is next to the kitchen so I heard it clearly. I jumped out of bed and with my heart in my mouth I went running into the kitchen. I found 5 puppies out of the box and toddling about looking around at their new world, whilst little Holly had found herself alone and sat in the corner of the box screaming as loud as she could. The poor little love just couldn't see where everyone had gone. I picked her up and let her explore her surroundings too. I don't think Ziva was best pleased .. but, ah well they were asleep again in 5 mins. We have now added the extra panel to the front of the box so hopefully tonight they'll be safe and secure.
The weaning is going well, but would be more successful if Ziva didn't continually stick her beak in an steal the puppy porridge. I'm afraid she's now been banned from puppy meal times, though her help is still needed in cleaning up afterwards!
One more bitch has been reserved, depending on us liking them and them liking us of course. I feel in a very comfortable position with the litter, with one conformation to possibly come. I fully understand Susie and Dave's hesitation, though I hope in my heart it's the right time for them as I could ask for no better for one of my babies, I will of course understand if it isn't!
Tomorrow we have to start the first day of the first worming course ... a necessary evil i'm afraid. I often think of it as their first unpleasant experience in life. Let's hope their lives are full of fun and love and that worming is the worse thing that ever happens to any of them .....