Monday 11 March 2013

Our Crufts 2013



Well what a day! After setting off at stupid O'clock (4.45am to be precise) I finally managed to get through the door of the NEC at 9am just as the first class was going in the ring. Anyway it gave me enough time to have a drink, give Nico a brush and compose myself before the class.
Sarah did a fantastic job of handling the boy and he truly did me proud. To be pulled out in third place and then moved up to first place on movement was thrilling. He looked a star, gave a great performance and never stopped wagging his tail. I'm lucky to have a friend and handler like Sarah who takes time to bond with the dog, most handlers just don't bother. Nico was thrilled to share Sarah's lunch with her later in the day.
It was wonderful to have such a good bunch of friends around me to support me as I paced anxiously outside the ring. Their support for Nico was truly touching. Whilst it was great to finally put faces to some of the names in his fan club,( Rachel, Tania etc)  it was fantastic to see friends that I haven't seen for years. Now come on Helen, did you really come all the way from Portugal just to see Nico?? ;)
The class win was such a thrill, a feeling of pride and satisfaction beyond compare. Someone else rejected this dog as "not good enough," .... Well look at him now! Crufts may not be the be all and end all in the German Shepherd Calender and it is probably the most stressful day for exhibitors; but it is the most prestigious dog show in the country, and is for most people "the place" to be seen. Did I expect to win? Did i hell! But on seeing the class in the ring I did think he had a great chance of being in the first four. I would have been pleased with a 3rd, delighted with the second...but First? Wow I'm over the moon.
To top it all, he never really put a foot wrong all day. He loved the attention he was receiving and was predictably happy to be greeted by all whatever creed, colour or age. Truly he loved his day, and as I said that tail just never stopped a wagging!
It was 9.45pm by the time I got home, I was knackered but still buzzing.
Again thanks to all who supported me and put themselves out to make my day possible, I owe you one. But the biggest thanks of all goes to Nico ... thank you for just being you!