Saturday 16 March 2013

This Yellow Van

 

Blanik Bus has really gone and done it this time! 2 days before Crufts it decided it wasn't playing! It was loosing power and smoking something thick and black. On the Saturday Everton managed to let in 3 goals in 6 minutes (or something like that) which lead to Mr S having a strop, he switched the TV off, slammed the door and went out to the van. Being mechanically minded (Not) he got into the van an revved the shit out of it ... Literally. After about 5 mins of his pent up football frustration the smoke turned colour. There was a black patch about the size of a tyre in the yard and you couldn't see the mountains for smoke. Anyway he then took the van for a whizz around the village and it ran well. Because I drive it daily I then took it out and agreed that it was Ok.
Despite some reservations I did end up taking it part way to Crufts, meeting up with friends and then travelling the rest of the way with them. But for me, this had been the final straw, it had let me down just once too often! The engine management light has been on and off for almost a year, it's broken down on the A55, (where there was no hard shoulder) and we've spent just too much on it. Don't get me wrong over the 4 years I've travelled high and low in it and I've loved it ... But sadly it's time to say goodbye.
Steve and I decided to call at a local garage, the owner informed us he was going to a sale that week. He promised he would call us the day before as the vehicles were listed. I told him I had hopes for something like a Vaxhaull Vivaro as that's what I drive at work and I love it. It's a little bigger and would give me room for 5 dogs and all my stuff comfortably. He called to say there were two ex Police vans at the sale, a ford transit and a Peugeot expert. Sadly the transit was too rusty but the Peugeot was a good van with full service history. An ex Police Dog Van, but he said, there is a but .... It's yellow! Well who cares? At least I'll stand out in a crowd! (And damn them for taking the cages out ...I see they sell a lot fully kitted!) I knew the van was no bigger than my Citroen, which was a slight disappointment, but with limited finances you have to take what you can get within your budget don't you! So yesterday We took it out for a test run, it goes really well but there are a few minor bits to tweak before we buy it and put it on the road next month.
If I could afford to spray it I probably would, good knows I'm sensitive at times and I can hear the childish comments now. But heho I can't so I'll have to deal with it! To be honest any spare cash will go to make it more comfortable for my dogs ... And I'd love to get a Louis head shot sign written on the sides ... I really do hope to do that.
So if you see a little yellow van in the distance and hear a lot of barking, it won't be the Police ..It'll be me!