Saturday 16 July 2016

Quandary

So how do you get pain relief into a dog that is too much pain to eat? Yes, strictly "give medication with food" .. so with 16 pils to take over the day, a vicious circle .... and no,  I won't force feed him. Yesterday we tried Turkey mince, cooked chicken, ham and fish but to no avail, but then at lunch time I had an idea. I prepared a small meal of raw mince turkey (Usually part of Finlay's diet) and mixed in some pilchards in tomato sauce, popped Mikey in a crate shut the door and walked away. I went back 2 mins later and as expected, he hadn't touched it, so I let the girls in. I knew he and the food were safe in the crate and I knew the girls would "really" want that meal ... Tali even tried to dig him out, but yes success with pressure on he ate it, and then I managed to stuff 7 tablets down his throat. It was pretty much the same routine for tea and supper, but hopefully the more pills we get into him the better he may feel.
Though Mikey's crate is open at night when I checked on him at 3am he was fast asleep in his bed. Only Loki and Sammi woke up hoping it was an early start on a dog show day!!!!
Again this morning Mikey didn't greet me at the door but was still in his bed, but with one call he was up and out. We both feel that there is a degree less of pain apparent to us today and Mikey is possibly bearing more weight on the left hind leg, but he is still very quite and can't seem to get comfortable. With Ziva lurking he ate his concoction of a breakfast and the next 8 pills where shoved down his throat. We know we are just buying time, and providing it can become quality time then medicating is not a problem, but as the vet said it's time to think day by day and we will always put his welfare before our feelings.